Herrod has the "low down" on the Ford Boss engine
Herrod Motorsport has always been able to get the big power numbers from the Boss engines, but they have always lacked the bottom end grunt, even in standard form. Herrod Motorsport now has available for the Ford Boss engine, “Vernier Timing Gears”.
These gears allow for more precise cam timing by having the adjustability of being able to advance & retard the cam by as much as 6 degrees on the exhaust and 10 degrees on the intake, giving the engine a major increase in bottom end torque.
So to make the most from your standard or modified camshafts fit a set of our vernier timing gears. Once installed, you only need to remove the intake plenum & valve covers to do adjustments.
Vernier Timing Gears: $1,250 inc GST
The Dyno sheet to the right shows a comparison of a few vehicles that we have tuned.
- The red dyno run is a Stock BF GT auto.
- The Purple dyno run is a BA GT with camshafts & vernier gears fitted. The final rear wheel kilowatts were around the 265kw mark, but when you look at the tractive effort (that relates to the rear wheel kilowatts) you can see the gain over the red torque figure & the purple torque figure. It is a huge jump.
- The green dyno run is a BA GT that has forged Hi-comp pistons, cams, vernier gears and a set of 4.1 diff gears.
- The vehicle has a very hi-torque curve due to the lower diff gears.
- The black dyno run is our XR8 work ute that has had headers, cats & exhaust with the cams and vernier gears fitted. It has similar torque curves to the modified GT, but the GT has more top end power, due to the GT having a bit more compression, and better valves over the XR8 engine.